In fact summer is one of the biggest planting and potting times at our nursery! If it were true that you couldn't garden in the summer, then there would be no flowers or gardens in tropical places where it is summer all the time!
Water Deeply! Deep watering encourages the development of deep root systems which will help your trees, shrubs, and perennials better tolerate drought conditions.
- When is the best time to water? Andre says, "It doesn't matter. You can water day or night. It is a fallacy that watering at night promotes disease".
- How much and how often should I water? The best watering practice is to water slowly so you have very little runoff and deeply so you only have to water once every 10 days or so. Watering everyday is not healthy for your garden.
- Aim to put down 1" or better yet 1 1/2" of water over an 8-10 hour period each time you water. This slow watering allows the water to penetrate deeply with very little runoff and wastage.
- Do not try to water by hand! It is time consuming and rarely puts down enough water to do the garden any good. In fact, it may actually be harmful to the plants because normally you won't be watering deeply enough which will cause the plants to develop shallow root systems leaving them susceptible to drought stress.
- Use a good sprinkler with a small nozzle for slow, gentle watering. Try the "Viette-made" sprinkler which was specially designed by Andre to put down less water per hour than most other sprinklers.
- More information on proper watering techniques
It's not too hot to plant! Planting in the heat of the summer does require some extra attention, though.
- Prepare the soil well according to the Viette recommendations. Of course it's important to do this ANY time you plant!
- Using organic fertilizers like Espoma Plant-tone or Holly-tone is important because they won't burn the roots! The new formulation of the Espoma "tones" also contains beneficial mycorrhizal fungi and bacteria which attach to the roots of the plant and increase water and nutrient absorption - a plus during a hot, dry summer.
- Water deeply after planting and apply a good quality mulch to retain soil moisture.
- Take frequent water breaks for YOU too!